A head to head comparison of the 2008 Massachusetts General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Barack Obama received 1,904,103 (62%) votes, beating John McCain who gained 1,108,885 (36%) by 795,218 votes in Massachusetts.
Barack Obama won all of the 14 counties in the State of Massachusetts whereas John McCain won none.
2008 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by Massachusetts (MA)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2008 General elections, over 131M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 69,448,278 (69.4 Million) over John McCain's 61,739,059 (61.7 Million). He won the popular vote by 7,709,219 (7.7 Million). His victory in the State of Massachusetts (with 1,904,103 votes) represents 2.7% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 97.3% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the largest counties (Middlesex, Worcester, Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Middlesex, Worcester, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk, five of the larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 554k vote advantage. Winning all of the counties made him gain an upper hand in the State of Massachusetts.
Related References: 2016 Massachusetts Primary Election Story, 2016 Massachusetts General Election Story, 2020 Massachusetts Primary Election Story, 2020 Massachusetts General Election Story, 2012 Massachusetts General Election Story