A head to head comparison of the 2008 Maine General Election gives us an idea of the break down of the voters.
Barack Obama received 421,923 (58%) votes, beating John McCain who gained 295,273 (40%) by 126,650 votes in Maine.
Barack Obama won 15 counties whereas John McCain won 12 county in the total of the 16 counties in the State of Maine.
2008 General Election Barack Obama Popular Vote Count Contributed by Maine (ME)
Presidential General Elections
During the 2008 General elections, over 131M total number of votes were cast. Barack Obama got 69,448,278 (69.4 Million) over John McCain's 61,739,059 (61.7 Million). He won the popular vote by 7,709,219 (7.7 Million). His victory in the State of Maine (with 421,923 votes) represents 0.6% of his popular vote victory. The remaining 49 states contributed to the remaining 99.4% popular votes victory.
Top 15 Counties in Primary Elections vs General Elections
All Candidates (General Elections)
These 15 counties play an important role in these Primary elections. If a candidate, can get a sizable majority in the largest counties (Cumberland, York, Penobscot, Kennebec), it becomes very difficult to win majorities in the smaller counties without voter outreach and increased voter participation in them.
Top 15 Counties Comparison in Primary Elections vs General Elections
Cumberland, York, Penobscot and Kennebec, four of the larger counties, voted in favor of Barack Obama giving him a 85k vote advantage. Barack Obama's steady marginal wins in the less popular counties were enough to maintain that lead over John McCain, making him gain an upper hand in the State of Maine.